Topic: No package php available

Hello,

I am new to CentOS and the Remi repository, but i'm very known with Debian.
I want to install php 5.6 from the Remi repository, but the packages cannot be find by yum.

EPEL and Remi are installed on the server.
# rpm -Uvh remi-release-7.rpm epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm

[remi] and [remi-php56] are enabled with enabled=1

# yum repolist

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: centos.mirror.transip.nl
 * centosplus: centos.mirror.transip.nl
 * epel: mirror.nl.leaseweb.net
 * extras: centos.mirror.transip.nl
 * remi: remi.mirrors.cu.be
 * remi-php56: remi.mirrors.cu.be
 * remi-safe: remi.mirrors.cu.be
 * updates: centos.mirror.transip.nl
 * webtatic: uk.repo.webtatic.com
repo id                                                                                                      repo name                                                                                                                                                  status
base/7/x86_64                                                                                                CentOS-7 - Base                                                                                                                                            8871+136
centosplus/7/x86_64                                                                                          CentOS-7 - Plus                                                                                                                                                  53
epel/x86_64                                                                                                  Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64                                                                                                             8895+769
extras/7/x86_64                                                                                              CentOS-7 - Extras                                                                                                                                               226
remi                                                                                                         Remi's RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64                                                                                                      172+2576
remi-php56                                                                                                   Remi's PHP 5.6 RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64                                                                                                 7+340
remi-php56-debuginfo/x86_64                                                                                  Remi's PHP 5.6 RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64 - debuginfo                                                                                     0+236
remi-safe                                                                                                    Safe Remi's RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64                                                                                                   36+700
updates/7/x86_64                                                                                             CentOS-7 - Updates                                                                                                                                            934+8
webtatic/x86_64                                                                                              Webtatic Repository EL7 - x86_64                                                                                                                              6+267
repolist: 19200

Everything seems ok, but I can't install any package from the repository.

# yum install php

Failed to set locale, defaulting to C
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: centos.mirror.transip.nl
 * centosplus: centos.mirror.transip.nl
 * epel: mirror.nl.leaseweb.net
 * extras: centos.mirror.transip.nl
 * remi: remi.mirrors.cu.be
 * remi-php56: remi.mirrors.cu.be
 * remi-safe: remi.mirrors.cu.be
 * updates: centos.mirror.transip.nl
 * webtatic: uk.repo.webtatic.com
No package php available.

I have also tried yum install php56 and php-56, but that fails with the same message.

Is there something I can do to fix this problem?

Re: No package php available

1/ remove the webtatic repo, which will raise issue when remi-php56 is enable.

2/ looks like a cpanel server ?

Try to find "exclude" in yum configuration

grep exclude /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum.repos.d/*repo
Laptop:  Fedora 38 + rpmfusion + remi (SCL only)
x86_64 builder: Fedora 39 + rpmfusion + remi-test
aarch64 builder: RHEL 9 with EPEL
Hosting Server: CentOS 8 Stream with EPEL, rpmfusion, remi

Thank you.

Some web related packages are excluded in yum.conf.
exclude=apache* httpd* mod_* mysql* MySQL* mariadb* da_* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php* bind-chroot*

It is a DirectAdmin server. Can that be the reason this packages are excluded? To avoid conflicts with the Apache related packages for DirectAdmin?

DirectAdmin provide its own PHP stack, and exclude any other sources.

So you can't update, or you may break everything.

Perhaps you can install the SCL (php56-php* package) as this one will be installed beside the default system version used by DirectAdmin.

But you will have to manuall enable it per project / vhost using the SetHandler to fastcgi proxy

NO Warranty

Use a real CentOS and learn to administrate your server without any panel wink

Not all my colleagues are familiar with managing a Linux server. That is why we have chosen a control panel.
I will have to talk to him about this. smile