Topic: First time user: mysqlnd problem

Hello,

Today I tried installing rpms for the first time and everything whent fine - so thank you for maintaining all these updates - it's really cool.
I have one little question though - it was probably me doing something wrong, but anyway here it goes:

I tried upgrading PHP to the 5.3 version (it also upgraded my MySQL, ok smile and it all whent fine, except I now get this kind of message in PHPMyAdmin
[Your PHP MySQL library version 5.0.90 differs from your MySQL server version 5.1.53. This may cause unpredictable behavior.]

After playing around with your repositories I now have installed:

mysql-5.1.53-1.el5.remi
php-5.3.4-0.1.201011110530.el5.remi

So if I understand correctly I should either downgrade mysql to what it was before i upgraded php (mysql 5.0.9) OR recompile php with support for libmysql.  So I would greatly appreciate any guidance (or a link) on how to do either of that, preferably recompiling with libmysql.

Re: First time user: mysqlnd problem

mysql 5.3 is build against mysql 5.1.
And I have never build any package against 5.0.90, so this seems to not come from one of my package.
So, you should not have this message.

Are phpMyAdmin and mysql-server running on the same server ?
Have you "reload" apache after installation ?

Well, in fact, this is only a warning, and I never encounter any issue with it
(I use one phpMyAdmin to manage various servers, running various MySQL versions)

+

Laptop:  Fedora 38 + rpmfusion + remi (SCL only)
x86_64 builder: Fedora 39 + rpmfusion + remi-test
aarch64 builder: RHEL 9 with EPEL
Hosting Server: CentOS 8 Stream with EPEL, rpmfusion, remi

Remi wrote:

mysql 5.3 is build against mysql 5.1.
And I have never build any package against 5.0.90, so this seems to not come from one of my package.
So, you should not have this message.

Are phpMyAdmin and mysql-server running on the same server ?
Have you "reload" apache after installation ?

Well, in fact, this is only a warning, and I never encounter any issue with it
(I use one phpMyAdmin to manage various servers, running various MySQL versions)

+

Hi, Remi.

Thanks for a quick response because this is really kindof urgent now (
Yes, phpMyAdmin and mysql server are running on the same centos5 box, and yes we certainly did restarted apache several times after install.

The problem is that our site is hitting some havy traffic about 120000 visitors a day, and it really seems that this 'unpredictable behavior' is causing some database queries to run really slow wich causes a 100% cpu load with httpd processes.

Additionaly i have a problem downgrading mysql from yum, so if you can advise what's the best way to do it i would greatly appreciate. Alternatively we could rebuild the php rpm from srpm, to use libmysql instead of mysqlnd but there were some problems with that too:

warning: user remi does not exist - using root
warning: user remi does not exist - using root
error: /home/myself/src/rpm/SPECS/php.spec:28: parseExpressionBoolean returns -1
error: Name field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Version field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Release field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Summary field must be present in package: (main package)
error: Group field must be present in package: (main package)
error: License field must be present in package: (main package)

So I'm really looking for an advise here.

Dmitry.

The binary RPM available in my repo doesn't use mysqlnd, but libmysql (except if you are using php-zts, which seems really a bad idea on production server, mysqlnd is experimental, and zts not ready for production).

What is the result of

rpm -qa php\* mysql\* | sort

If you have slow query, you should enable the "slow_query_log" (in mysql) and analyse the log.

+

Remi wrote:

The binary RPM available in my repo doesn't use mysqlnd, but libmysql (except if you are using php-zts, which seems really a bad idea on production server, mysqlnd is experimental, and zts not ready for production).

Ok, then so it narrows the problem to I guess mysql instalation then as I also maged to downgrade to MySQL 5.0.90 to exclude the mysql client problem.

The result of rpm -qa php\* mysql\* | sort is following:

mysql-5.0.90-1.el5.art
mysqlclient15-5.0.90-1.el5.art
mysql-libs-5.1.52-1.el5.art
mysql-server-5.0.90-1.el5.art
php-5.3.3-1.el5.remi
php-cli-5.3.3-1.el5.remi
php-common-5.3.3-1.el5.remi
php-gd-5.3.3-1.el5.remi
php-imap-5.3.3-1.el5.remi
php-mbstring-5.3.3-1.el5.remi
php-mysql-5.3.3-1.el5.remi
php-pdo-5.3.3-1.el5.remi
php-pear-1.7.2-2.el5.art
php-pear-DB-1.7.13-1.el5.centos
php-pecl-apc-3.1.5-2.el5.remi
php-soap-5.3.3-1.el5.remi
php-xml-5.3.3-1.el5.remi

Remi wrote:

If you have slow query, you should enable the "slow_query_log" (in mysql) and analyse the log.

Yes, will go do that now, but it seems sort of strange as all the queries seem fine at leat on our development and testing boxes.
Anyway - thanks for your help, Remi. I will post here as soon as I have more details.

Dmitry.

You probably encounter issue because you are using package from both remi and art repository.

Should use :

• php-*-5.3.3-1.el5.remi

• mysql-*-5.1.53-1.el5.remi

• phpMyAdmin-3.3.8-1.el5.remi

+