Topic: Upgrade PHP 5.4.45 to 5.6.22 on CentOS 5.6

Hi everyone, I'd like to start my request for assistance by adding some background context, with the hopes that you knowledgeable folks will be patient as I am not well versed in server administration. I need to update my version of PHP on my server to run some software, and unfortunately my host does not offer support for what I'm trying to to do. I know some basics of system administration; I can navigate around the server, edit some files using vi editor, run some SQL commands, but my experience is close to zero when it comes to updating software using rpm, wget and yum. My biggest concern here is that I'm going to do something that damages the server, as I'm obviously running things as root. That being said, I hope someone can give me some specific advice (commands) to perform this PHP update I need.

This is a CentOS 5.6 system with Plesk 12.5.3, MySQL 5.5.46 and an upgraded version of PHP 5.4.45 from the default 5.3. I performed the PHP upgrade from 5.3 following the instructions from https://kb.plesk.com/en/115833. From here on, it's unclear to me whether a) it's necessary to uninstall PHP 5.4.45 or b) I should just directly try to update to 5.6.22.

Trying the a) yum remove, I get prompted to removing a bunch of "psa-" packages "Removing for dependencies" "Is this ok". I don't think that's what I want to do as it looks to be Plesk stuff it's trying to remove.

Trying the b) yum update from Remi's wizard, it looks like there are a lot of packages "set to be updated", not just PHP. Then there is a bunch of "missing dependency" messages related to mysql-libs, mysql-server, and mysql.

Can someone please provide some guidance on how to upgrade PHP?

I'm running these commands from the /root directory.

If there are any other informations needed from me to help troubleshoot, please let me know and I'll provide.

Re: Upgrade PHP 5.4.45 to 5.6.22 on CentOS 5.6

Sorry, but plesk heavily modify the base distribution and is no more a CentOS distribution.

> Trying the a) yum remove, I get prompted to removing a bunch of "psa-" packages "Removing for dependencies" "Is this ok".

You will lost plesk application.

> Can someone please provide some guidance on how to upgrade PHP?

Ask Plesk support.

Laptop:  Fedora 38 + rpmfusion + remi (SCL only)
x86_64 builder: Fedora 39 + rpmfusion + remi-test
aarch64 builder: RHEL 9 with EPEL
Hosting Server: CentOS 8 Stream with EPEL, rpmfusion, remi

Hi Remi,

thanks for the response.

I thought the KB article I posted from Plesk details how to upgrade (it also refers to your repositories). Am I not able to follow this same method anymore since installing your PHP 5.4?

I was hoping it could be an easy overwrite or something.

I will try contacting them if you think that's the way to get an answer.

> Am I not able to follow this same method anymore since installing your PHP 5.4?

This link seems really old... php 5.2 on centos 5...

I think that's what that version of Plesk on CentOS came with.

The article is old, but it worked for upgrading to 5.4.

I was hoping someone could help me with a modified approach towards 5.6.

You can try to follow the howto you found, using "remi-php56" repository, see http://rpms.remirepo.net/wizard/

But again, there is absolutely no warranty, as I have no experience with plesk, this can break everything.

Also notice than 5.6 is terribly old, you should at least update to latest 5.11.
BTW, CentOS 5 will be EOL soon (March 2017)