Topic: no modular metadata in fedora36

Hello, I am trying to install on fedora 36 using the remi-php81 repo packages but it is giving me the following error:

No available modular metadata for modular package 'php-cli-8.1.6-1.fc36.remi.x86_64', it cannot be installed on the system

Same issue with 7.4 and 8.0. I was under the impression that the remi-php* repos were not modular. This was how it was in the previous fedora releases.

Re: no modular metadata in fedora36

Starting with fedora 36, the flat repositories (remi-php*) are not used anymore, not provided by the remi-release package and not usable

You have to use remi-modular
Simply follow the wizard instructions
https://rpms.remirepo.net/wizard/

Laptop:  Fedora 38 + rpmfusion + remi (SCL only)
x86_64 builder: Fedora 39 + rpmfusion + remi-test
aarch64 builder: RHEL 9 with EPEL
Hosting Server: CentOS 8 Stream with EPEL, rpmfusion, remi

Ok so another related question then. You keep at most two patch versions in the repo at any time (e.g., 8.1.x and 8.1.[x-1]). Does that mean it is not possible to install 8.1.[x-2]? I ask because for legacy reasons at my organization, we sometimes need to install packages that are several patch versions behind. Is it possible for me to execute 'createrepo' myself that includes all previous patch versions?

> Does that mean it is not possible to install 8.1.[x-2]?

Still possible, but not using online repository, you have to download package from the archive

I discourage this usage, especially for security reason (ex 8.1.7 is a security release)

> Is it possible for me to execute 'createrepo' myself that includes all previous patch versions?

Yes

createrepo allow to create:
- modular repository (way I use it), but you have to generate the module metadata (no official tool for this excepted MBS)
- flat repository, but to use it you need some dnf options (module_hotfixes=1)

> Is generating the module metadata complicated?

See the script I use to do it
https://git.remirepo.net/cgit/tools/hel … /mkmodular