Topic: Best way to use with phpMyAdmin

Thanks, Remi, for all your great work.

I'm on CentOS 7, using PHP 7.2 as an SCL.

I want to use phpMyAdmin. What's the best way to accomplish this? If I try to install phpMyAdmin either from the CentOS repositories it wants to add PHP 5.4 from CentOS. If I try to install it from the Remi repository, it still wants to install PHP 5.4 from CentOS, and also has some conflicts.

How should I be doing this?

Re: Best way to use with phpMyAdmin

Packaged web-app (so phpMyAdmin) rely on dependency from base package 'php-*'.

So you have to keep PHP base packages

phpMyAdmin in EPEL works with PHP 5.4 (base repoository), and will probably won't work with 7.2
phpMyAdmin in "remi" works with recent PHP versions, such as 7.2 from "remi-php72" repository.

SCL are mostly useful for "parallel" installation, so for multiple versions
In this case, I recommend to use the highest one (7.2 ?) as default version, and older using SCLs.

Laptop:  Fedora 38 + rpmfusion + remi (SCL only)
x86_64 builder: Fedora 39 + rpmfusion + remi-test
aarch64 builder: RHEL 9 with EPEL
Hosting Server: CentOS 8 Stream with EPEL, rpmfusion, remi

Hi,

Thank you. The machine I'm working on is actually a base image that has all versions from 5.4 to 7.3(RC) installed. It is spun up on-demand for new WP installs, and then destroyed soon after.

I suppose I'll install PHP 7.2 as the 'system' version. Though.... since PHP runs on this system under PHP-FPM, it won't actually be used for phpMyAdmin, will it? i.e. This is just a matter of keeping the RPM database consistent? Would it be a good idea for phpMyAdmin to change its dependencies so that have any PHP-FPM package installed would also be enough??

> Though.... since PHP runs on this system under PHP-FPM, it won't actually be used for phpMyAdmin, will it?

Indeed, won't be used.

> This is just a matter of keeping the RPM database consistent?

Yes

> Would it be a good idea for phpMyAdmin to change its dependencies so that have any PHP-FPM package installed would also be enough??

But this will require RPM feature not yet supported (will be in RHEL/CentOS 8 with RPM 4.14 and dnf), i.e. Rich Dependencies.

> But this will require RPM feature not yet supported (will be in RHEL/CentOS 8 with RPM 4.14 and dnf), i.e. Rich Dependencies.

How about making all PHP-FPM packages, and all the packages with Apache mod_php (and any other packages that indicate a provision of something allowing PHP to run via a webserver) provide "PHP-Web" (or something like that), and having phpMyAdmin require that? Then you'd only have a dependency on a single thing.

Not possible.

By design, SCL should not alter base system.
Having a common virtual provides (such ad php(http) which already exists) will create multiple providers, and thus conflicts between base and SCL packages.

The only "safe" way will be to rebuild each "noarch" package in each collection... but with >500 packages and 5 active SCLs... this is really too much work.