Topic: php-common and extension defaults

Hi Remi,

I am the user rbro from the decimal project on github where you pointed me to your repository for CentOS rather than compiling the extension manually.  Thank you for sending it.  What you've done looks very complete.

One minor question: as mentioned, I'm trying to match my configure string without any extra extensions.  I see that the following extensions are enabled by default in php-common, but they are not enabled when I manually compile PHP.

- bz2
- calendar
- exif
- ftp

Would there be any downsides if I disabled them in my installation?

Just curious, is there a reason you picked to enable these automatically (since they aren't enabled in a manual configure) rather than put them in separate rpm's?  I like you how you separated everything out into separate rpm's, so it's easy to pick and choose.

On a side note, these 3 are also enabled by default.  I'm using them so I'm ok with that, but again, they're not enabled in a manual configure.

- curl
- gettext
- sockets

Thanks again for your help.

Ryan

Re: php-common and extension defaults

In our packagin goals

- build "all" possible extensions, so all users will find what they need

- build as much as possible extensions as shared, so can be installed / enabled / disabled according to user needs. (this have been greatly improved, since I took PHP package maintaince in Fedora / RHEL)

- ship extension which pull big dependencies in separate packages (his also have been improved in recent versions)

- try to not break users installation during update (when some split happen)

> Would there be any downsides if I disabled them in my installation?

No (excepted if another extension depends on it)

> is there a reason you picked to enable these automatically (since they aren't enabled in a manual configure) rather than put them in separate rpm's?

No dependencies (well... libcurl, but this one is always there, as used by RPM)

Laptop:  Fedora 38 + rpmfusion + remi (SCL only)
x86_64 builder: Fedora 39 + rpmfusion + remi-test
aarch64 builder: RHEL 9 with EPEL
Hosting Server: CentOS 8 Stream with EPEL, rpmfusion, remi