1 (edited by eric@footsteps.nl 2011-09-30 13:48:16)

Topic: Compile php-pecl-apc for zts [resolved]

Dear Remi,

I wonder if it would be possible to include a version of the apc module which is compiled for multithreading (zts). I haven't been able to find it, so I assume it's not there.

I'm very fond of your repositories (stable and very up to date) and it would simply be a waste of time to set up my own for just one module tongue.

On a side note, perhaps you could reconsider including xcache for php. I believe several of your users would love that.

Is there any way to donate besides Paypal? Because words of praise don't put bread on your table.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

Eric

Re: Compile php-pecl-apc for zts [resolved]

Until recently, there is no "zts-devel", so I can't build any zts extension.

Since latest version, zts-devel is provided (in php-devel).
So I just need to rebuild extensions.

For which distro / version ?
At least php-pecl-apc-3.1.9-2.el5 (in remi-test for now) have zts extension enabled.

Notice : I have test to run my hosting server on ZTS... not a great succes (random freeze after 2-3 hours)

P.S. you also need latest php-5.3.8-5 which come with some improvments (php-mysqlnd, is_a(), ...) see my blog about this.

Laptop:  Fedora 38 + rpmfusion + remi (SCL only)
x86_64 builder: Fedora 39 + rpmfusion + remi-test
aarch64 builder: RHEL 9 with EPEL
Hosting Server: CentOS 8 Stream with EPEL, rpmfusion, remi

eric@footsteps.nl wrote:

Is there any way to donate besides Paypal? Because words of praise don't put bread on your table.

There is the donate button (on top of the page = paypal) and my wishlists (link on the homepage of my blog)

I don't have any other "legal" structure (according to french law) to accept paymen, but I'm thinking about a solution.

Remi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I've got everything set up now. (using remi-test)

Your packages previously provided ZTS extensions in /usr/lib/php/modules-zts/. So I'm not sure what you mean by rebuilding "extensions" (as in plural).

A side note for other users: while the ZTS extensions where previously found under /usr/lib/php/modules-zts/, they now reside under /usr/lib/php-zts/modules/

You may have to change your customized php.ini.

Kind regards,

Eric

PS.

What kind of freezes did you experience?

- Entire apache?
- Certain threads (possible workaround, decrease apache MaxRequestsPerChild)?
- Certain scripts (possible workaround, remove script(s) from cache)?

Remi wrote:

There is the donate button (on top of the page = paypal) and my wishlists (link on the homepage of my blog)

I don't have any other "legal" structure (according to french law) to accept paymen, but I'm thinking about a solution.

I'll have look to see what I can do wink.

Kind regards,
Eric

eric@footsteps.nl wrote:

Module path doesn't need to be set in php.ini.
Default value is ok.

I have move new stuff from remi-test to remi.

It seems php-5.3.8-5 (remi-test) have an issue with curl extension, fixed in php-5.3.8-5.1 (remi)

Remi wrote:
eric@footsteps.nl wrote:

Module path doesn't need to be set in php.ini.
Default value is ok.

Correct, but if you had it set for some reason (like me) you have to change it. The box I'm testing on has seen a lot custom compiled PHPs.

Remi wrote:

I have move new stuff from remi-test to remi.

It seems php-5.3.8-5 (remi-test) have an issue with curl extension, fixed in php-5.3.8-5.1 (remi)

I don't use cURL regularly so I haven't stumbled over it yet. I haven't done any high load tests yet but it seems pretty stable. However, I'm a bit disappointed concerning speed.

I wan't to switch apache from prefork to worker in production because of performance "hiccups" which (I presume) are caused by child spawning. The average script run time appears to be higher for threading (about 5-10%) but I haven't tested that thoroughly yet, not to mention performance differences under high load.

I'll get back here with my benchmark results.