Topic: Add remi-php54 into remi.repo

Hi, may I suggest that you add [remi-php54] into remi.repo or even better perhaps consider splitting remi.repo into remi-php54.repo, remi-php55.repo, remi-php56.repo etc so that essentially for each version of php you have it's own consistently named .repo file that follows the same pattern.

The reason for this is if you're using tools such as ansible to provision the server (as people should be) it is currently an absolute nightmare to script the setup with the current repo setup.  I understand the legacy reasons but it would really really help if things were named consistently.  Currently with an ansible script work out the repo name from the version or enable the repo it's quite a major pain.  What could be done in two simple ini_file tasks requires many more tasks as you have to determine both the correct repo file name and repo name.

I know you can always just create my own .repo file and deploy that with ansible, but it would be nice to not have to do that and just install the rpm and use the repos from there.

Re: Add remi-php54 into remi.repo

Indeed having php 5.4 in remi repository was an error.

And the reason why now each version have its own repo (remi-php55, 56, 70, 71...)

BTW 5.4 is now DEAD, so I don't plan to change the repository layout.

Laptop:  Fedora 38 + rpmfusion + remi (SCL only)
x86_64 builder: Fedora 39 + rpmfusion + remi-test
aarch64 builder: RHEL 9 with EPEL
Hosting Server: CentOS 8 Stream with EPEL, rpmfusion, remi

Thiking a bit more, could be possible...
(should be only a set on hardlinks)

BTW, need to adapt my build tools for pushing the updates in the right place

Done, in remi-release-6.8-2 and remi-release-7.3-1

There is an additional file "remi-php54.repo", but "remi-php55" still defined in "remi.repo" as I don't want to break user configuration (duplicate definition of same repo make yum unhappy).

BTW, file name where the repository is defined should not matter, it you use the proper "yum-config-manager" command.

P.S. this new version also provide https only mirror list (as comment)

Thanks for the quick reply.  I know php54 is obviously old, etc, but some older versions of applications have issues on later versions and clients don't always want to pay for upgrading.  Having the php54 repo named as remi-php54 helps as makes it possible to use yum-config-manager straight up without additional logic.  However, that said, having the repos split between inconsistently named repo files still makes it a bit of a pain as it means you can't use ansible's ini_file module to change the values and properly reflect if something was changed or not.  When calling yum-config-manager using ansible's command module you always either get that something has changed or that nothing has changed (if you use the changed_when: false) as there's no easy way to evaluate if something has changed or not.  In any case just to make it easier for myself I just created my own remi repo file with all the versions in it and consistently named.  Made it soo easy to use ansible ini_file module to ensure the right version is activated.  That could be another option I guess, in addition to keeping existing files just add new ones with new names and consistent splitting of repos between repo files and naming.

> I just created my own remi repo file with all the versions in it

So you could use https://rpms.remirepo.net/enterprise/remi.repo

And probably, you need https://github.com/ansible/ansible-modu … ssues/2384