Topic: Spacewalk - Centos 7 - PHP56

Good morning,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.  I searched the forums, but have not found anything of note.

I'm trying to register Remi's repo in Spacewalk so that I can push out PHP56 to my clients.

I've tried everything I can find on google, but I'm at a loss.  It would appear that I can register/import the main rpm, but that just seems to contain the config files for setting up the repo rather than the software itself.

If I go through the manual process on one of my clients, then it works fine.  What I'm trying to do though is to have the packages available from within Spacewalk so that I can push them out when provisioning.

Has anyone managed to achieve this?

Thanks.

Re: Spacewalk - Centos 7 - PHP56

Sorry, but I don't know Spacewalk, so won't be able to help you on this...

Laptop:  Fedora 38 + rpmfusion + remi (SCL only)
x86_64 builder: Fedora 39 + rpmfusion + remi-test
aarch64 builder: RHEL 9 with EPEL
Hosting Server: CentOS 8 Stream with EPEL, rpmfusion, remi

BTW, found on RHN => https://access.redhat.com/solutions/308983
I think this should work.

P.S. remember that you will have to add both "remi-php56" and "remi-safe" (and also EPEL)

Thank you Remi.  I think I've sorted it now.

For the benefit of others landing on this search, the solution seemed to be to add pointers in Spacewalk to the exact repos we wanted (rather than just the top level).

So for example, to add the php56 repo:
- I created a new repository in Spacewalk that pointed to https://fr.mirror.babylon.network/remi/ … 56/x86_64/ (arbitrary mirror)
- I added that repository to my Remi channel in Spacewalk
- I then synced that repo and found 300+ packages
- I then repeated the above for the Safe repo (as I needed some dependancies from there)

Once done, I was able to kickstart the machine from Spacewalk and have it install php5.6 automatically.

If anyone reading this has any questions regarding this, please drop me a line and I can share configs/screenshots etc.

Best regards,
Pete

> Thank you Remi.  I think I've sorted it now.

smile

Thanks for the feedback (and sharing this)

6 (edited by wumfi 2017-02-17 11:46:53)

A bit of further useful information.

It appears that in Spacewalk, one has to be very specific in order to get the correct packages installed when a machine is kickstarted.

If I just chose php, then it defaulted to getting the one from the standard channels rather than yours.  After install, a yum update worked and upgraded it to v5.6.

However this was not the behaviour I wanted.  Therefore I had instead specify php-5.6.30, then the correct version got installed without further updates being required.

Pete

I forgot to mention another required step.  The Remi GPG key also needs to be registered at build time.

To do this, I've used a Spacewalk snippet created thus:

#raw
cd /etc/pki/rpm-gpg
wget <STANDARD CENTOS URLs HERE>
wget https://rpms.remirepo.net/RPM-GPG-KEY-remi
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/*
#end raw

The snippet can then be called with the script section of the kickstart.  Spacewalk will auto-generate the line for you.  So in my case, the snippet was called GPG_KEYS and the generated line was $SNIPPET('spacewalk/1/GPG_KEYS').

(I had to remove some of the URLs above as I'm only allowed to post one link here)

> Therefore I had instead specify php-5.6.30, then the correct version got installed without further updates being required.

This seems a bit messy, as you will have to update this monthly... on each new release (I only keep 2 versions online)