Topic: Bad encoding in repo repomd.xml

Hello,

As of today (2023-11-16), it looks like there's an issue with the metadata for enterprise/8 (pulling from the remi-release-8.5 rpm).. when pulling from remi-safe or remi-modular on cent 8, dnf is exploding when trying to do anything.

DNF error: platform-python: /builddir/build/BUILD/libdnf-0.48.0/libdnf/dnf-sack.cpp:719: gboolean load_yum_repo(DnfSack*, HyRepo, GError**): Assertion `fp_primary' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

After doing some digging, this error is related to dnf not being able to read part of the repo's metadata xml file (the repomd.xml)

It looks like there's an encoding issue in remi-safe and remi-modular which is causing this issue (this xml is what the "primary" node in repomd.xml is pointing to):

https://rpms.remirepo.net/enterprise/8/ … ry.xml.zst
and enterprise/8/modular/x86_64/repodata/0eca57ffa2851136885dd771123952c6317cbac55fd5fe734a3f2f3a2096de9e-primary.xml.zst

I switched over to remi-php72 which does not have the same issue. If you search for e55997b7e3e6a09c0c2 which is what the primary node is pointing to for this version at enterprise/8/php72/x86_64/repodata/ the xml has proper data.

I posted this in the discord already, but just posting here as well in case anyone else is having issues or it gets more exposure.

Re: Bad encoding in repo repomd.xml

related to main workstation updated to F39
with default compress switch to xz

will fix it shortly

Laptop:  Fedora 40 + rpmfusion + remi (SCL only)
x86_64 builder: Fedora 39 + rpmfusion + remi-test
aarch64 builder: RHEL 9 with EPEL
Hosting Server: AlmaLinux 8 with EPEL, rpmfusion, remi

Re: Bad encoding in repo repomd.xml

Notice: 8.5 is NOT supported, only latest 8.8 (and soon 8.9)

I update various VM today without issue, so looks like "xz" compression was backported there

BTW, working on re-generate all the repo with proper bz2 compression

Laptop:  Fedora 40 + rpmfusion + remi (SCL only)
x86_64 builder: Fedora 39 + rpmfusion + remi-test
aarch64 builder: RHEL 9 with EPEL
Hosting Server: AlmaLinux 8 with EPEL, rpmfusion, remi

Re: Bad encoding in repo repomd.xml

All repo metadata have been regenerated using only bz2

Laptop:  Fedora 40 + rpmfusion + remi (SCL only)
x86_64 builder: Fedora 39 + rpmfusion + remi-test
aarch64 builder: RHEL 9 with EPEL
Hosting Server: AlmaLinux 8 with EPEL, rpmfusion, remi

Re: Bad encoding in repo repomd.xml

Confirmed this is working now. Thank you so much for the quick turnaround!